Izakaya Culture 2
"Izakaya" are very popular as places where you can freely enjoy alcohol and food. You can make eating and drinking in Izakaya more fun by getting to know Japan's unique ordering styles and services.
"Nomihoudai" (All-you-can-drink) system
- Many Izakaya in Japan offer "Nomihoudai" (All-you-can-drink).
- For a certain price you can drink as much as you want of the applicable drinks within the time limit. Many Izakaya set the last order at approximately thirty minutes before the end of the time limit.
- Usually you cannot order more drinks until you have finished your current drink, so try to order only what you can drink.
- Although it depends on the type of sake and the Izakaya, generally you can drink sake either at room temperature, warm, or chilled.
- Chilled sake is called "Hiya." Warm sake is called "Kan."
- Also, sake can be either sweet or dry in taste.
- Sake tastes pleasant and is easy to drink, but please be careful because it is easy to get drunk.
- Free water is offered in many Izakaya. When drinking sake, you can weaken the effect of the alcohol by also drinking an appropriate amount of water.